Open the command prompt using the Windows+X shortcut key or by clicking the Start button and search through the search text box. Type the following command:
It will show windows protection could not start the service.
sfc is known as system file checker. It is a Microsoft Windows utility which is located in local disk ‘c’.
This Microsoft system utility allows the users to scan and restore the corrupt windows system files.
The reason behind this error? When the windows modules installer service is disabled this error may occur. Some of the other reasons include downloading of any corrupted files from the browsers, traffic congestion in the network or may be due to any virus in the system.
Also Read – Fix Windows 10 Update Error Code 0x8024a105
The trusted windows modules installer service is a one which has to the windows resource protection files which is also known as WRP files and also to registry keys. In order to restore or change the missing and corrupted WRP resources, the windows module installer had to run all the time.
Method 1 – Make sure Windows Module Installer service is running
- Click on the Start menu.
- Search for the run in the text box.
- Open run.
- In the text box type the following
- You can also directly open the services window by directly searching services in the search text box.
- It will open the services window
- There swipe down and search for Windows modules installer.
- In the Startup type, it will show you that it is Disabled.
- Select the windows modules Installer
- It opens a sub-window.
- There is a General category, the sub-window will be in the Disabled state.
- On clicking on the Startup type drop-down box it shows you 3 options such as Automatic (Delayed Start), Manual, Disabled.
- On selecting the Automatic (Delayed start) option will through you the error that the parameter is incorrect (the delayed auto-start flag could not be set).
- Change the startup type to manual and apply it.
- Then click on the Start button in Service Status.
- Service Control window will open and there you can see the windows module installer.
- Now the Service Status shows it is running.
- Click on the Ok button and move on to the Command prompt window.
- In the Command Prompt window type the command as
- It will show you a reply message as “Beginning system scan. This process will take some time”.
- Then the verification process will start.
- After the verification process is completely done it will reply with a message saying that
- “Windows Resource Protection did not find integrity violations.”
- You can close the Command Prompt window and Now the Windows resource protection will start the repair service.
Method 2 – Fix using the Elevated command prompt
- Click on the Start button.
- Search for Command Prompt and open it as Administrator.
- It may ask for permissions for making changes to your device. Click on
- Type the following command on the Command Prompt.
sc config trustedinstaller start=auto
- The Command Prompt will reply as ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS
- Then type the following Command
net start trustedinstaller
- The Command Prompt will reply with the following
The Windows Modules Installer service is starting.
The Windows Modules Installer service was started successfully.
- Then type the command “exit” to leave the Command Prompt.
- Now Open the Command Prompt once and type the same command
i.e; sfc /scannow
- Then the process will start automatically.